Thank you so much for stopping by to see my block in the 30 Quilt Blocks in 30 Days blog hop hosted by Carla at Creatin’ in the Sticks. The number 19 seems to be a number of interest for me, so it was prodigious that when I contacted Carla, 19 was one of the few still open. I had to take it, and I am so happy I did! Today, my block is “Weave”.
As a brand new quilter, you may find yourself wondering how to acquire your “stash” without breaking the bank. Personally, I joined one of the Freecycle groups for my area, and found someone who was giving away scrap fabric. This is where I got the fabric for my block today.
“Weave” isn’t quite as super simple as some of the other blocks in the hop, it has 7 pieces total in it.
Spring is taking its sweet time around here in coming. Maybe if I used spring-like fabrics, Mother Nature would get the hint. I was hoping to find some fabrics in my stash of free fabrics, and I did. No need to go to Joann’s, like I ever need an excuse for that! So, I ironed first, then cut the needed pieces. I thought it would be great to be able to see the weave together, so I cut what I would need for 2 blocks. You can see them here:
Then came sewing them together, which I was able to chain piece them together and make the sewing go that much quicker. Piecing it all together was done pretty easily with no matching seams. I found that finger-pressing the seams before using the hot iron made the fabric lay better and not go all cattywompus on me.
Both of them together came out absolutely adorable, but then I thought, what can I possibly make with just two blocks? Lately, I have been exploring mug rugs as a way of learning new quilt blocks, or new quilting techniques. I grabbed some batting I had left over from a previous project. I cut the size of batting I would need, slightly larger than necessary, and layered it from bottom to top
–One block face up
–the other block face down
I sewed it all together with about a 3 inch opening to be able to flip it inside out and cut all the excess after sewing, especially at the corners to reduce all the bulkiness. After flipping it inside out, I used a chop stick I got from a Chinese restaurant to poke out the corners as gently as possible. You have to be gentle with the poking, but firm at the same time. I know from experience, too little pressure and you will have bulky curvy corners, not the pretty sharp corners you want. Too much pressure, and you will find your chopstick poking right through that corner you just sewed. That is frustrating!
Afterwards, I ironed the entire square on both sides, folded both sides of the opening in by a quarter inch and ironed that down really well to help it line up with the rest of that side and help camouflage that opening. Top stitching an eighth of an inch from the side, starting at the opening helped to give the entire mug rug a nice finished edge.
I wanted to quilt it, but I haven’t ever attempted free motion quilting. To be honest, I don’t have that kind of courage in my quilting just yet. I decided to stitch in the ditch in the four corner squares. Since the squares on either side are going in opposite directions, it didn’t make sense to me to do much more than that.
Here is the finished product:
If you want to check out the other squares and designers, here’s the full schedule:
Thank you so much to Carla for a fantastic blog hop!